Apply now: listen to berlin 2020/21
Call for applications for the 13th edition of the cross-genre listen to berlin compilation.
➡️ APPLY NOW ⬅️
On November 3, 2020, the announcement of the winners will take place at the listen to berlin: Awards, which also marks the beginning of Most Wanted: Music. The listen to berlin: Awards also serve as a platform for exchange, networking and cooperation between experienced industry representatives and committed young talents.
2020 is a year of extremes. As the world faces up to the reality and impact of the coronavirus pandemic, some speak of a “new normality”. But the Berlin music scene has never been about the normal. Berlin’s music is unconventional, innovative and progressive, and this is what will be celebrated on the listen to berlin compilation.
The 18 artists* selected for the compilation are automatically also nominated for the listen to berlin: Awards. The listen to berlin: Awards are intended as a predicate for remarkable achievements in the Berlin music industry. Since 2017, the Berlin Music Commission has been awarding the prizes independently of commercial considerations and focuses on the complexity of the industry. They highlight special people, artists* and projects and present them to a broad public during the awards ceremony.
In addition, the winners* have the chance to have a live performance at MW:M Live, the showcase format of Most Wanted: Music in November 2020.
In cooperation with the digital distributor Zebralution, the Berlin Music Commission will release a digital compilation. The artists* will receive a digital set-up, playlist pitching, and digital marketing tools to promote their individual tracks. Together with Dussmann das KulturKaufhaus, Zebralution will help and media partners FluxFM and Ask Helmut to make the curated tracks visible.
no new normal
Mainstream? No, thanks. How does the brave new world we want sound in the face of such stormy changes? The listen to berlin compilation is a space for experimentation, is open to all genres and styles and is never satisfied with what is never normal. It wants to be non-conformist and unconventional, innovative and progressive. Artists*who have been featured on the compilation in the past include Dota Kehr, Bonaparte, junk-E- cat, Shirley Holmes, ZUSTRA, Jan Blomqvist, Ani Klang, Pilocka Krach, Symbiz and Moderat.
Good music knows no genre. Neither does Berlin. No matter if experimental electronica, African-American funk and soul music, rap, pop indie sounds or booming rock – the sound of the capital is versatile. We are looking for a cross-section of the most innovative and exciting music; a soundtrack for a diverse city in a moment of upheaval.
The compilation is curated by an expert jury, which is made up of experts from different areas of the music business each year.
- Submissions can be made by bands, musicians, labels, producers or publishers. The artists themselves must live in Berlin.
- Recordings must be mixed and ready for release (no demos!)
- Mastering is done by the Berlin Music Commission.
- The submitted title is previously unpublished and a physical and digital publication is not planned before 03.11.2020
- Both signed and unsigned acts are welcome, but no major label acts.
- The right holders must provide the license free of charge (GEMA fees are covered by the BMC).
- Artists / bands that were already represented on the “listen to berlin” compilation 19/20 cannot be considered for the current call out. (Come back next year!)
Each submission must contain the following material:
- Record music as a public SoundCloud link or an MP3 (320 kbps, maximum 5 minutes / title) if the title is not publicly available on SoundCloud or is currently unpublished.
- Provide the following information: artist name, music title, authors (composers, lyricists, arrangers, producers), title length, and year of release.
- Names and contact details of all rights holders.
Please submit only one title per application!
➡️ APPLY NOW ⬅️
The deadline for applications is 09.08.2020.
A Project of the Berlin Music Commission in cooperation with Zebralution and Dussmann das KulturKaufhaus.
presented by Flux FM & ASK Helmut
Most Wanted: Music and the listen to berlin: Awards are running by the Berlin Music Commission and funded by the the Senate Department for Economics, Energy and Public Enterprises.
MW:M Live is the showcase event of Most Wanted: Music – run by the Berlin Music Commission. It is supported by Initiative Musik gGmbH with project funds from the Federal Government Commissioner for Culture and Media and the Senate Department for Economics, Energy and Public Enterprises.
Jennifer Schild |
Tel.+49 151 412 067 02
Fotos: Stefan Wieland (www.stefanwieland.com)
Supported and funded by the Senate Department for Economics, Energy and Public Enterprises.